An Introduction
The first week of the course has been exciting and terrifying all at once.
I have to admit, having the opportunity to work from home this year has helped put my mind at ease when returning to higher education to complete my HNC. I know that working and learning from home comes with its own challenges, but in terms of my artistic process I feel at ease in my own space and know that the work I produce throughout the year will be reflective of this.
I have been out of education for almost 7 years so the prospect of returning to study was incredibly daunting. I have some concern about managing the workload of full-time study while balancing my personal life, however I am a reasonably organised person and I know that with hard work and determination I will be able to stay on top of it.
Throughout my 10+ years in the workforce, I have gained an understanding of the personal value I place in having a creative professional life and finding a career that allows me to learn and grow. I have spent a lot of my life feeling lost and undecided about what I want to achieve and my career goals, and it has taken time and experience to understand where I fit into the world and what I am capable of contributing to society.
Starting this journey has filled me with a sense of passion and exhilaration I have not experienced before. In this first week of learning I am already filled with excitement and inspiration. I can feel myself looking at art and design from a different perspective and I am beginning to let go of any predetermined ideas or restraints I have previously associated with art practice.
I am excited at the prospect of a schedule that will allow me to regularly use my creative skill and push myself to think abstractly during my every-day life. I am driven by the curiosity to create and learn new skills and am excited to explore my imagination; to learn, create and solve problems. Most importantly I am excited to kick start a career that is right for me.
I have applied for the Glasgow School of Art (GSA) Associate Scheme and am looking forward to hearing back if this is the right program for me. I am keen to go straight into second year after completing the HNC and feel that having the opportunity to study at GSA would give me a great foundation for moving into a career in the arts.
I want to spend this year developing and enhancing my existing knowledge to produce higher quality work and build a new skill set to support me when moving into the study of further creative subjects.
Comments
Post a Comment